Friday, March 14, 2008

Skate Softly and carry a Big Stick

About six months ago, after seeing some stand-up paddle surfers here in Morro Bay, I thought about making myself a paddle for my longboard skateboard. Thinking about it was as far as I got.

A couple of weeks ago the crew at Kahuna Creations sent me one of their boards and a "Big Stick" to try out. As soon as I got it out of the box, I headed down to a sweet new bike path that runs along the harbor in Morro Bay, to give it a go.

I have to say I really enjoyed "paddling" along the bike path. The rubber tip on the business end of the paddle offers a nice grip/pushoff, it's also less jarring than I thought it would be. It was also a great upper body workout, especially on the slight uphill section.

Of course, I got a few weird looks from the surfers driving along the road next to the path, but hey after you've skateboarded across America three times, you get used to weird looks. While I was "paddling" on asphalt, a woman walking along the path pointed out a "stand-up paddle" surfer making his way through the bay.

The craftsmanship of the "Big Stick" is excellent, wood core/fiberglass wrap with a nice little handle at the top for added leverage.

For more info and a 10% discount on a Big Stick click here and use discount code "oldskateguy".

Here's short clip of my first paddle.

No comments: